The first time I came across chicken popcorns was at a dinner at my brother-in-law's place. My sister-in-law cooked them the simple way; just deep fried without having any sauce to go with them. First bite and I liked it straight away. There were not as meaty as chicken nuggets neither they were too battery with just flour.
I have always liked to pair these chicken popcorns with sweet and sour sauce. This dish has never failed to be the winner on our dining table. I hope it will the same case on yours too :)
Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken (简易糖醋鸡)
1 packet (400g) chicken popcorns
2 medium size onions, cut into wedges
1 tomato, cut into wedges
3-4 tbsp cooking oil for stir frying
2-3 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 tsp rice vinegar (optional)
2 tsp sugar
Cornstarch + water, as thickener
1. Deep fry chicken popcorns according to direction on packaging.
2. Heat oil in a work/pan till smoky hot. Fry onion till fragrant, add in tomato wedges and continue to fry for about half a minute.
3. Add water, bring to a boil. Cook until tomato is soft. Taste with vinegar and sugar.
4. Add in cornstach solution to thicken the sauce. Return fried chicken popcorns to wok and give it a quick stir such that all chicken popcorns are coated with sauce.
5. Serve hot with white rice or fried noodles.
1. To enhance flavour and color of sauce, add in canned pineapple slices, red and green capcicums instead of just tomatoes and onions.